8.14.2013

Turning Memories Into Art

I have always been intrigued by artist canvas. It just seems to have the feeling of high end art to me. So I was recently inspired by this pin I repinned on my Pinterest board. I love the way this looks artsy but captures the moment. Plus, I love the way the pictures look with the sealer  gives them a vintage vibe.

For more info - click here.
I had been searching for a while for a great way to feature our wedding photos in my office at work. The walls are blue and my desk is made up of glass, silver, and a light colored wood. So I knew that I wanted to do black/white images. Although, I would have done black/white anyhow it is simply my favorite. It just seems to capture the true essence of that moment in time. And it blends well when you have older pictures and current pictures.



So I determined, that based on the wall size and the location above my desk  I wanted to do three 12”x 12” size photo canvas pieces. Next, I determined the images  now this was much more work than I thought it was going to be. I mean there were so many great moments but with James’ help  I settled on three very good ones.

So I headed to the store for supplies. I was able to catch the canvas on sale for 60off at Michael’s. I picked up the canvas, a few pieces of scrapbook paper, a small jar of modge podge matte with a (50off coupon), and black acrylic paint. Thank you Michael’s!

Next I searched and searched for a reasonable place to print the picturesThe size is not common and I didn’t want to pay a fortune. I was able to order 12x12 sheets from Shutterfly (http://www.shutterfly.com/prints/scrapbook-pages/12x12-scrapbook-pages). They offer these really cool scrapbook sheets and you can get your image printed on the entire sheet. The normal retail price is $6.99 per sheet. Fortunately for me, I had a $20 store credit. I love them! They are always sending coupons. And doing special offers. My total order came to $8.48 with shipping and handling. Not bad!

Now on to the work. Or shall I say the fun part! 

Supplies needed:
- Modge Podge Matte
- Canvas (size depends on pics size)
- Paintbrush 
- Black acrylic paint 
- Sponge Brush
- Exacto knife
- Photos 

 Step 1: Paint the edges of your canvas with black acrylic paint. You can use any color on the edges, I just used black because I was doing black and white photos. It does add a since of "realism" to the piece. 




Step 2: Align photo against canvas. First, place Modge Podge on the front of the canvas. Apply photo back to the front of the canvas. 

Step 3: Using your Exacto knife, trim any excess away.

Step 4: Apply Modge Podge to the front of the photo. Completely cover the photo. And then the sides. Don't be alarmed the photo will look white at first. I promise it will dry and you will end up happy!  




Step 5: Repeat for the rest of your photos. Allow 24 hours for drying and installation. Ta-da! 




So for a little under $10 a piece, I have art in my office. And a wonderful display of our wedding photos, instead of the usual desk photo in frame. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing with me. - KD