8.11.2013

A Date with Annie Sloan Chalk Paint


Before                   &                     After 
Annie Sloan Chalk Paint  you had me at a hello! Who knew you would enter my heart ever so easily. I had thought you were a looker from a distant but your high price tag and small color palette left me feeling as though I did not exactly want to get too close to you.

And then the gift....  On my last birthday my absolutely adoring husband brought me a gift certificate to attend a workshop at a local furniture restoration studio. The workshop was designed to show you how to properly use Annie Sloan Chalk Paint before purchasing it. I figured this could be a win-win since the class required you to bring in a chair or small table to complete during the session. (See my chair below - before Annie Sloan took over).

Who knew I would absolutely fall head over heels in love with this product. The product is amazing!!! The ease of use, the lack of headaches over sanding, and the low odor are just a few of my favorite highlights - there is so much more.

It was such a wonderful evening, spending 3 dedicated hours with a bunch of ladies with little to plenty of experience refinishing furniture. We all picked different colors, which was wonderful - it allowed me a chance to see what other colors I may be interested in. Everything from Barcelona Orange to Emperor's Silk. I choose Paris Grey for my chair. We were each given a dedicated workspace with a table and smock.

As you know from my previous article, The Coral Effect, I am beginning to prepare for a revamped office color palette.  The neutral and almost white tone of Paris Grey was very intriguing. Everything else in the grey family seemed too dark. And I always paint in black. Now what would be the fun in that if I went with my go-to color.  They went around and poured out your color in a small dish and then were supplied the small Annie Sloan Chalk Paint brush.

We began by just painting, no sanding. Just started out painting. I was impressed with how fast the color was attaching to the surface of the chair. The chair was made of cherry wood (Please note that they recommend sanding a bit for laminate services - 220 grit). It took about 40 minutes to apply the first coat. We started with the chair turned upside down. To allow us to get the legs and the under parts coated. Once done, we turned the chair upright and then finished the first coat.

Yikes! Adding the first coat. Underside is done. 
We waited about 15 mins (yes, 15 mins) between coats and then applied our second coat. Still with the chair upright.  You do not need to apply a second coat on the underside. Not much paint was used at all.  So, it was evident that a can of paint would go a long way. The second coat took another 40 mins or so to apply. I spent time making sure I had no drips, and where I did - I just rubbed my thumb over the area to smooth out the paint. And it worked!

We allowed another 20 mins for the second coat to dry. Next, we applied a clear coat of wax. (You can choose between clear or go straight to dark). The wax was applied with the Annie Sloan Chalk Paint wax brush. You apply a medium amount of wax to your brush and then brush on your project, working in small areas. Immediately following applying the wax, you rub off the excess - you should end with a nice smooth finish. You keep working in small areas until you have completed the entire chair. We allowed this first coat of wax to dry about 15 mins. Next, you can choose to put on a coat of dark wax or another coat of clear wax. I choose another coat of clear wax. We repeated the same steps as the first coat.
Clear wax application after first coat. 
The chair finally looks completely mid-century modern. The chair dried for another 20 mins and then I took it home with me. Yep, that's right - I loaded the chair up in the car right after class. The next day I buffed the chair with some cheese grater fabric and I ended up with a super sheen on the chair.

When I purchased the chair, I was infatuated with the clean lines and the small amount of cane. Now, I am simply in love with it. So much so, that I wish I had been able to locate at least 2 of these chairs. They would work well at a dining room table. Oh well, this chair will be beautiful at my desk.

Now, I have to find the fabric and begin the chair cushion. Stay tuned, tutorial coming on reupholstering chair seats. I plan to change the entire style of the chair seat, but keeping the original seat frame as the guide. 

Thank you Metheny Weir Studios and Annie Sloan Chalk Paint you have changed my life! I am a believer in the way the ease and power of this product. Oh and thanks to my wonderful and thoughtful hubby! This was the best birthday gift ever! 
Recap of the entire process. 

Are you an Annie Sloan fan? Do you know of other great paint products similar to this? Share with me your thoughts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing with me. - KD