5.12.2016

Turning a Boring Shade into a Modern Window Accent


 

Ok, so I am currently working on a makeover of our living space. While, I am not ready to share a final view of the space, I am ready to share with you an update to the window treatments. I made the pelmet boxes, two falls ago, after finally finding the perfect curtains and fabric accents. I really liked them but had no idea at the time what I was going use as the bottom layer for these windows.  And for the past year and a half, I have had nothing at this window. Yep, you read that correctly. Nothing. And it wasn't for lack of trying. I just couldn't figure out what to put there.  I just put up some plain white mini blinds at the smaller windows but I never intended to leave them there. I just needed something at those windows since they faced the neighbor behind us. The big window looks out over the park so no one would peek in.  Well unless you are being very nosey when you turn around in the cul de sac.


Fast forward to today, I have become completely obsessed with Greek Key Design. So much so that I started with adding a little bit of it  here and there.  And by here and there, I mean just this accent strip to the pelmet boxes. I'll be honest I wasn't exactly sure how to incorporate into my then current design for our living space.  I didn't completely abandon the idea but I really struggled with how I could make this work. Other than adding that tiny accent strip, I wasn't sure where else I was going to be able to add it.

In my normal scrolls of Pinterest - I came across these Greek key shades.  Aren't they beautiful!! Are you oogling over them? I sure was. My design wheels starting turning very fast. I instantly new I had to have them in our living space. They would be the perfect addition to our windows. And they would be one more Greek key accent piece. Double score!

And once I found out that these were just affordable roller shades that could be purchased off the shelf at  Home Depot or Lowes. Off I went, to Lowes.  The shade was $24.97, I felt that was a great deal considering that other window treatments for a 69"+ wide window are very expensive.

I will be quite honest that while I loved the look of the shade, I wasn't sold on the idea of using duct tape. Don't get me wrong, I love duct tape but I am not sure I wanted that in my living space. I had found the below pin a while back when I had considered making greek key accent pillows. I haven't completely given up on that idea, I just tabled it while I was I figuring out how to incorporate greek key design elements into other parts of our  home décor.

I loved the ribbon used. And decided that I wanted to use ribbon instead of duct tape on my greek key shade. I loved Sarah M Dorsey's tutorial for how to guide you through making a greek key pattern. Ready to make them yourself?

Things you will need -
  • Vinyl Roller Shade (size of your window)
  • Inside Mount for Shade
  • Painters tape
  • Measuring Tape
  • Ribbon
  • Fabri Tac (Fabric Glue)
  • A Ton of Patience


To start, you will want to measure your window to determine the exact length you will pull down your shade. As you want to have the design only on this portion. I think these shades go down 80" or so and I was only going to use 50" max when the shade was pulled down in the evening. So I only marked this section for the design. In addition, I have two lovely curtain panels on each side - so I subtracted a few inches on each side so that the design was in the center of the shade.

Next I began by measuring and putting my painters tape into place. I started by placing ribbon across the bottom. The bottom wasn't very attractive and as a bonus this gave me the first line for the bottom of the pattern.

I wanted a continuous line with the ribbon, I followed the tutorial closely for turning corners. The pattern you tape down will make this very easy. 

After I had all the painters tape in place, I was able to get started. I began at the bottom straight line and then moved right, making my way all around the piece. Just as shown in the tutorial.

Once I got to the top, I'll be honest I wasn't quite sure how this was going to work. The ribbon seemed chunky on the service and the glue seemed like it was to thick for the surface. I could have thrown in the towel but decided to finish before abandoning the project totally. Boy am I glad I didn't. 

It took me two days to finish but I think I could have done this in a few hours if I hadn't had to stop for my Little Man and other family obligations. The most time consuming part is measuring and placing your pattern with the painters tape.  Update: I completed one more for the second window in this room. And it took me a little over an hour and half to complete. Now just two more to make and this room will be complete.

Once done, you place your mounts and hang your shade. Stand back and look at how marvelous your window looks. Isn't she lovely???
Now that I have this complete look, I have purchased three more shades to complete the remaining  windows in our living space. I'll post an update picture as soon as they are all done.

If the shade is letting in way too much light for you, you can get a room darkening shade. Or get a shade in other colors. Keeping in mind the price increases for different colors and light filtering shades.  I just went for a white one since it matched the trim piece on the pelmet box and I didn't need a room darkening shade. I just wanted to cover the window and get privacy for the evenings.

So what you think? Isn't that the perfect addition to my window. Are you inspired to do something similar. Share you design ideas with me. We can all get inspiration from each other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing with me. - KD