8.05.2013

Couponing Again


Reflecting on a post that Thrifty Decor Chick posted this week about money being "T.I.G.H.T.,"  got me to thinking about my own budget these days. It is not that we don't have any money but we are focused on a goal and want to save as much as possible. So we have to be smart with our money. If it isn't necessary we do not buy it. 

I used to be a coupon maniac. By maniac I mean I bought several newspapers on Sundays, subscribed to coupon sites, and swapped ads with neighbors. And I was single! There were so many other ways I enjoyed spending money, that I wanted to save everywhere else possible. Plus, the bargain/sales-a-holic in me just got a thrill when I came out of a store with 3-4 bags of groceries for $10. Saving at the grocery store meant a new pair of shoes or a new decor item for my apartment. 

Then I got married and swoosh - out the window this went. I mean not all the way out the window. Occasionally I would do some minor couponing but nothing like I used too. 

But TDC's post, had me thinking that I could have a lot more and spend less if I went back to couponing. And ironically my husband had just scored a ton of left over ads from this past Sunday's paper and yesterday I went to town - I studied the ads, I clipped coupons, e-clipped (many grocery stores have this now - clip coupons right to your store savings card) signed up for my favorite coupon sites again (see below) and I geared up for a trip to the grocery store. Oh boy! 


Oh and did I go to town - yes indeedy! See my treasures below. I have planned 12 meals with the items below and items from the freezer. It felt so good to be back at it. I was like a kid in the candy store - as I maneuvered through the aisles and watching the scanner go and then watching the total. And even more - I stuck to my list. That is the key to couponing. If it is not on the list and you do not have a coupon for it, it does not go in the cart! Otherwise, you are just defeating the purpose. 

Note: Picture is missing the frozen items, lunch meat, dairy products and juices. Hubby
was super excited and had started putting up the groceries before I snapped a pic. LOL!
My score breaks down like this - the original bill was $96.41. After store and e-clipped coupons the bill was reduced to $89.66. Then I scanned the paper cut coupons, resulting in the final total of $63.23. Woohooo! High fives!!! After evaluating my items, I realized I could have saved another $7-$8 and got a few more items. But really this is not bad for someone getting back into the swing of things.

Are you an extreme couponist? If so, share you favorite sites or tips & tricks. I am eager to learn more and get better. So please share!  If not, tell my what you do when money is tight to keep you from feeling down? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing with me. - KD