3.21.2016

Getting Re-Aquainted w/ an Old Friend


So it's been a while. I have sooo much to share. Long journey but we are finally home owners. I'd be the first to tell you that was why I "sort of" separated from my blog. I threw the towel in because I was out of projects at the apartment and had already began packing everything. I know - you probably think, "did she just say packing." It was my attempt at being positive. 😉 I figured if I packed up things and started prepping we would find a house. I really didn't want to get caught with my hand in the cookie jar. You know suddenly moving and only a limited time to pack it up. We had lived in the apartment for three years and I had accumulated a bunch of stuff. So I know it was going to take a while to pack everything. And this way, I could organize and pack. You know, not just throw things in boxes and sort it out when we got the new place. I absolutely am not a fan of the mystery box packing. Plus, I sort of new I wanted a new color scheme, so I had started to purchase items and bulk up my decor bins.

So let's fast forward, we have been in the house for a year and half. It was a steal. The owners absolutely just wanted to get rid of the place. It was in a location closer to the city, but still in a development. It's a best of both worlds type of deal. Score for our home shopping list. Crazy though, we ended up with a ranch. Yep, you read it correctly a ranch. Anyone that knows me, knows that I absolutely did not want to live in a ranch. I wouldn't even let the realtor show us any. So how did we end up seeing this one, let along buying it. Talk to my Mom. She was determined to help shop for us a home. She would spend countless hours on her iPad at night looking for homes that met our criteria. She came across our home in one of her searches and showed me. I honestly did not know it was a ranch. I hurried and called our realtor. She arranged for us to see it. We got there and both our mouths dropped. 😳. Is this a ranch??? Since we had went through the trouble, we decided to go in and to our surprise - we loved it. We put the bid in that night and a few weeks later, it was ours.

Funny thing, as with every other house we loved or placed a bid on - I usually spent hours measuring, sitting in the rooms, thinking furniture layouts and decor-dreaming. But with this house, I did none of that. I didn't take one measurement. Didn't take one picture. Refused to even get that personally involved. When we found out the house was ours - I felt like the design book was smacking me in my face. I had no plan!! I didn't recall the windows or the flooring or the kitchen cabinet colors. Nothing. Although, I think about it now - that was probably for the best. It allowed me to keep my mind clear and focus on the home buying process.

I wasted no time after we got the keys. My home decor, DIH-ing, need for a project mind got busy quickly. I started coming up with a plan or maybe a few plans for the new house. Stop over to my pinterest board and check out my inspiration for our new place. The vision for 190 - Modern Vintage with a some rustic turned Chic! So reconnect with me as I begin the journey to revive this builder grade (one style fits all) house into a home with an old soul - just like it's owner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing with me. - KD