5.26.2016

Finally Freshened Up: Front Porch Makeover


HAPPY THURSDAY!!! I am so excited to share with you my weekend warrior project. I know you are thinking, really you are just now sharing this with us. I promise, I have been meaning to share this with you guys since Monday. Nonetheless, Jay and I have finally gotten to getting our front porch ready for Spring. Lol! Just in time to enjoy it for the Summer. Yay! 

When we first visited our home, the porch was soooo inviting. It's the first thing you notice when you pull up at our home. I have to admit, I wasn't exactly sure how we would fill it but after being in the home a few weeks I knew it was going to be a great place to watch the sun go down and relax with guests. Don't get me wrong, the back deck is just as enjoyable but it's not what you see when you pull into our driveway. Ya know that thing called - Curb Appeal. 😁 

Never knew how important curb appeal was until I bought this home. We live in a private development and the one thing that is pretty awesome about this development is that all the yards and homes have great curb appeal. The grass is green, the flowers look beautiful, and the trees are planted ever so carefully in the front yards. It's these things that actually draw your eye, when you are driving. How pretty is that yard? Wow that tree is pretty awesome, wonder what it is? Ok, maybe not you. But I definitely pay attention to these details. 

Ok back to this post, the first thing I knew right away was the door had to be updated. While we couldn't afford a brand new door. At least not one that we would like to have - I knew we could afford paint and a brush. So we painted the front door. You remember I liked bold, right? The black door really looks nice on our very earth toned home.  

It's bold, right!!!
I absolutely ❤ how this turned out. It just adds so much personality to our home.  And the door got another new treat with the addition of a nice clean Summer wreath. It just breathes Spring/Summer and welcomes everyone. I will post a article about the door and the special treat I will add soon. Next up, we need to get a screen door. I know, don't get ahead of yourself. Enjoy the update you already did. By now, you know me. I am always thinking of the next project. I think every DIHer does. It's just in our DNA. But that will come soon enough. Probably put that on the list for next Spring.  Here's a question - do you think the light fixtures need to go black? I know, I just said I would stop. But that could be an easy fix. 

Moving on from the door was the piece to resistance ( I've always wanted to say that) - my beloved loveseat. Why is it my beloved, you ask? My wonderful FIL made it for us. It's one of those treasures that will be with us forever. I found the plans online and he made it. Isn't he the bestest!!! And you have to love Ana White. She makes things so easy for us DIYers. Our loveseat got a new coat of paint. Some carpenter bees weren't so nice to it last summer, so it needed some wood filler, a good coat of primer, and good coat of paint. I opted to spray paint this piece. More about that coming soon. Oh I need to add some more pillows. The hubs thought it was fine with just one set of pillows. Me - nah. So I going to make another set in a complimenting print. And I think it needs one little décor pillow in the middle. But it looks pretty as it stands. 


And to complete our porch makeover, we added these lovely over the rail planters. I will be honest - I don't have a green thumb at all. But I have always loved these planters. I had wanted some when we were in the apartment but we never even got patio furniture there - so it seemed a bit unnecessary.  The time is right now - I mean come on  the rails look lonely without something on them. And I mean finally, I feel our home fits in with the rest of the awesome homes in our neighborhood.  


So back to my green thumb. I had to complete a ton of research to even know what to put in these lovely planters. I find this really nice post from 3 Little Greenwoods, where she talks all about these planters. Thanks, Ashley!!! I am absolutely in love with them. They bring me great joy when I pull into our driveway. 😍

I finally feel as though our home has made a complete upgrade in just a weekend. Shout out to the hubs, for getting the grass together. And a joint 30 minute clean up of our overgrown flower bed. Not sure what we will fill in then front bed with, but that's a problem for another day. I can live with it as it for this Summer. 


Have you tackled a Spring refresh project? Or have a great porch makeover? Share them with me. I love to hear what others are doing. 

Until next time, Kimberley

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing with me. - KD