4.11.2016

A Big Solution for a Little Problem..Ikea Hack

So last week, I revealed our Little Man's nursery. I hoped you enjoyed seeing a peek into the design style and the way it all came together. This week, I am focusing on creating a closet when there really isn't one.



 Jaxon's room as you know, is located in a loft style room in our home. Off this room is an "attic closet." Attic closet you say to yourself - what is she talking about?? Well, I call it an attic closet because it is a room that sits off the loft with a door but kinda of reminds you of an attic space. Either way, when we bought the house they sold us on the fact that it was considered a third bedroom because of this closet space. It could have functioned as a great walk-in if this was the master.  The space was virtually a blank canvas except that we had begun to store items in this space. Since I haven't gotten around to creating a craft room, this place partially functioned as storage for my craft supplies. Our clothes in one section, comforters and bedding in another, and then the far back space functioned as storage for special items. Or things we didn't want to store in the basement. Since I am crazy about organization, I figured that we did not have enough storage in the nursery for extra blankets, extra clothes - basically all the extra stuff you need with a little one. I am a "prepper" so I like to have the next phase of stuff and the phase after if possible. In other words, I like having more than I probably need for this little guy.

So combining the fact that we were already storing things in the closet and the fact that we needed space for extras and a "real" closet to hang Little Man's stuff - I needed to design something that was both functional and absolutely adorable. Considering the nursery had set the bar kinda of high. The other challenge here - I wanted to reuse two bookshelves from the office that would be going to the basement to collect dust.

In my searches for nursery closets had seen a few posts where people had used Ikea shelves in there closets and from that the plan was derived. I figured I could make a closet out of the two shelves we had. I mean like a real closet with rods. Plus, I already had bins for each space. And they don't make the five bin shelves anymore, this has been replaced with the Kallax Shelf now. I think you could do the same with them. So I said goodbye to what I thought were going to be window seats w/ bookshelves below for the office/craft room. And hello to a closet!


What we used -
  • 2 Ikea Expedit Shelves (Kallax replacement)
  • 10 Drona Boxes 
  • 2 Closet Rods 
  • Drill
  • Level
  • Label Maker
  • Cute Little Dividers
  • Muscles (Hubbs)
  • Shoe Shelves 
In a matter of 45 minutes we had the system together. And in a matter of a couple of hours, I had already washed up some stuff and started organizing the closet space. But the best part, we only had to spend $20 to create this closet for our Little Man. Yay!!!! I absolutely love when I re-purpose existing items and save money on a project. The only new items purchased were the closet rods and the cute little dividers. I got them at BuyBuyBaby with a 20% coupon. Score!


While the black bins don't match the rest of the nursery, I figured since the door to the closet will be closed they sort of function as two different spaces. Perhaps, I will get the urge to cover the bins with matching fabric from the nursery. But until, then I think not bad for our first Ikea hack!

Don't you agree you can never have enough storage? 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for sharing with me. - KD